Monday 17 October 2011

Evaluation of Polls

To help with the choice of the song i wanted to do, which was in-between 'Take Me Along' and 'Giving You Up' by Miley Cyrus, and to also see general opinions on music videos I created a poll for students at my college, friends and family members to answer the questions. I asked seven questions, as well attached links for both of the songs for people to listen to. These are the questions I asked in my poll, 'How important do you think a music video is to promote a song?', 'What type of music do you enjoy listening to?', 'What type of subjects do you study?', 'What type of features would you want to see being used in a music video?', 'What is your gender?', 'What is your age?', and 'After listening to the songs 'Giving You Up' and 'Take Me Along' by Miley Cyrus, which do you prefer?'.



How important do you think a music video is to promote a song?
This is the first question I asked in my poll and the four answers you could choose from were 'very important', 'quite important', 'mildly important', and 'not very important'. After the poll finished I was glad to realise that 85% of the people that answered chose 'very important' as their choice and the other 15% chose 'quite important'. A music video is in fact very important to promote a music video but it is also important to promote the artist, so maybe the 15% of people who chose 'quite important' considered this, and maybe thought that in fact a music videos main purpose is to promote the artist and no the actual song itself. Therefore if I was to re-do the poll i would ask the same question but on the artists behalf too.


What type of music do you enjoy listening to?
For this question gave six possible answers, these being Rock, Pop, Country, Indie, R&B and classical. However, after I did the poll I realised that these obviously are not the only different genres of music and that if I was to do it again I should add an option being 'other'. For this question, 42% of people chose Rock as their choice, 16% chose Indie and 42% chose R&B. The genre of the song 'Giving You Up' would be categorised in the country/pop genre and the song 'Take Me Along' would be in the pop/rock genre, So as I kept checking up on the poll to see which choices were being chosen I thought it would be interesting to see which song the audience actually preferred as neither of them seemed to really fit in the genre's most chosen.



What type of subjects do you study?
The answer options I added into this question were 'artistic subjects such as art and graphics' which received 28% of the votes. 'Core subjects such as English and maths' which received 58% and then 'scientific subjects' which received 14%. If I was to do this specific question again I would definitely add more options such a sport for example. And also, to me 'media' would be considered to be under artistic subjects but unfortunately I didn’t make that clear.


What type of features would you want to see being used in a music video?
The four possible choices I used to this question were 'Performance', 'Narrative', 'Abstract' and 'Animation'. 34% of the votes went to performance and 66% went to narrative, meaning abstract or animation did not receive any votes. I had already decided before I did the poll that I wanted my music video to mainly consist of narrative with aspects of performance, so I was really glad to realise that the results of this poll were similar to my original idea's therefore meaning my final video shall hopefully be something audiences would enjoy watching.


What is your gender?
For this question 15% of the people who answered were male and 85% were female. Although I expected several people of both gendered to answer the poll, I think it is a good thing the majority of the people were female as the target audience of the both of the songs are generally females.

What is your age?
The four different choices I included in the poll for this question were 'below 15, '16-19', '20-24' and 'over 24'. As 72% of the people who answered were in the category 16-19 year olds it is clear that the majority of the people that answered the poll are in college. 14% of the votes were then towards 20-24 and the other 14% were towards the over 24's.


After listening to the songs 'Giving You Up' and 'Take Me Along' by Miley Cyrus which do you prefer?
More than all of the other questions in the poll this one was the most important to me, as it was going to help decided which song I chose. I had rough ideas in my head of what I would do for each video, however as I listened to the songs more i realised that in fact my favourite song and the one I had better ideas for was 'Giving You Up'. Consequently, i was pleased to find that 72% of the votes were for my chosen song (Giving You Up) and then 28% of the votes were for 'Take Me Along'.

No comments:

Post a Comment