Sunday 25 March 2012

Video Editing: effect

For this specific shot, which is a portrayed as a sort of reminiscing shot between the two characters in the music video I decided that I wanted to make it look quite old, to emphasise on the fact that what is being shown is the past. Here are the several stages I went through to get the effects exactly how I wanted...

Firstly, what I did was go through the different Matrox effects and eventually found 'Matrox Old Movie'. I then dragged the effect onto the specific clip I wanted, the effect then appeared on the Effect Controls, ready for me to change the clip.



 The second thing I did was add noise to the clip, I changed it to only 28.00% as I didn't want it to look too blurry, or making it higher than 28.00% also made it darker, so then I would of had to change all of the brightness settings again. 



 The third thing I then did was add dust along with the noise, adding dust filled in the gaps between the noise affect and made it look a lot more realistic 


 Fourthly, as the clip is a moving image and not a still, I decided to add streaks, to move along the screen whilst the picture is moving too. This definitely made it look more like an old movie. I decided to add 10 streaks to the clip as this means they are more frequent, any less than 10 looked out of place. I also increased the opacity to 95.00% as the clip shown is quite bright so the streaks needed to stand out. 


Finally, the last thing I did was add a flicker to the effects In my opinion this was the thing which made it look like an old movie the most. I didn't want the lowest frequency brightness to be too low so I changed it to 31.00% as I thought that was reasonably but then changed the highest frequency brightness all the way to 100.00%. I did this because the in the clip the colours are very bright as it is near water and the sky is very dominant, so a part of the flicker had to be quite bright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment